- There are many asphalt crack fillers on the market, each with its specific purpose.
- Flex-A-Fill is product contractors use to fill in cracks and joints; it sets quickly and hardens quickly.
- Deery Hot Pour Rubberized Asphalt Crack Filler is our favorite because it saves contractors money on maintenance supplies and can fill cracks up to 1″ in width.
- Latex-ite Pli-Stix Blacktop Joint and Crack Filler come in long, thin sticks instead of huge blocks; application is easy – simply wedge it inside the cracks and melt it with a handheld torch.
- When choosing a good crack filler, look for one that is versatile, dries quickly, can withstand extreme temperatures, is non-tracking, and is easy to use.
Anyone who has ever dealt with a cracked driveway, sidewalk, or concrete surface knows that it can be a real headache to fix. The joyful news is that several products on the market are designed to make this process a little bit easier. So, which one is the best?
PowerSurge Plus LLC will look at three popular asphalt crack fillers and compare their features and benefits in this blog post. We’ll also discuss when each product is best suited for use. By the end of this article, you’ll have all the information you need to make an informed decision about which crack filler is suitable for your needs.
Asphalt Crack Fillers: A Brief Overview
The asphalt market is huge – The global market revenue for asphalt plants is predicted to reach nearly 2.5 billion U.S. dollars by 2027. Asphalt pavement owners everywhere rely on crack fillers to prevent costly repairs. Without crack filler, pavement cracks would expand and eventually turn into potholes. These potholes need to be repaired, which can be pretty expensive. In extreme cases, you may even have to repave the damaged area.
This is why crack fillers are so important. They act as a barrier, filling in the cracks and stopping water and other debris from seeping through. This protects the asphalt beneath, prolonging its lifespan. There are many different sorts of crack fillers on the market, each designed for specific purposes.
But with so many products on the market, how do you know the best? We checked out four different asphalt crack filler brands to see which one lasts longer, dries faster, and gives you more bang for your buck. Check it out below!
Flex-A-Fill Hot Asphalt Crack Filler
Contractors use Flex-A-Fill to fill cracks and joints. It sets quickly and hardens fast, so people can use the area as soon as the product is dry. One of its primary benefits is that it works for asphalt & concrete, making it convenient for contractors who work with both types of pavement. Additionally, it is versatile enough to fix roads, driveways, parking lots, and airport runways.
Unfortunately, this crack filler can only be used with a direct-fire melter. You’ll have to explore other options if you use an oil-jacketed crack fill melter.
- Dries within an hour or two
- You can use it to repair asphalt and concrete
- Professional-grade crack filler
- This crack filler can cover up to 230 linear feet per block, making it ideal for filling in large cracks.
- You can use it in direct-fire melters only
Deery Hot Pour Rubberized Crack Filler
The Deery Hot Pour Rubberized Asphalt Crack Filler is our favorite crack filler for many reasons: it saves contractors money on asphalt maintenance supplies. It can fill cracks up to 1″ in width in parking lots and driveways, which means less time spent working on a single job site. Plus, it dries and hardens in only an hour or two, so your crew can quickly move on to other Jobsite projects. It stays dark and firm even years from now – giving your customers real value for their investment.
- It dries within an hour or two
- It is flexible yet firm and can last up to 4 years
- It’s Versatile — it can be applied using direct-fire and oil-jacketed melters
- The crack filler is 100% professional grade
- This product can cover up to 200 linear feet per block
- Use it to fill cracks in concrete and asphalt
- The cost is higher compared to other brands
Latex-ite Pli-Stix Blacktop Joint and Crack Filler
One package will not be sufficient if you have many cracks to cover.
Latex-ite is quite a unique product; it comes in long, thin sticks as opposed to the huge 30-lb blocks in which the first two products come. Each pack can cover up to 30 feet of cracks (1/2″ to 1″ wide).
The application is straightforward – wedge it inside the cracks and melt it with a handheld torch. There is no need to remove the plastic wrapper; it melts along with the product.
However, this might not be the best product if you have deep and wide cracks that need repair. If you’re a contractor who needs to service multiple properties in one day, use hot pour crack fillers instead.
- Contractors and do-it-yourselfers can use this product on asphalt and concrete.
- It can be applied using a handheld torch,
- One package can cover up to around 30 feet of cracks.
- It takes a longer time to dry.
A Good Crack Filler: What to Look For?
Your primary focus is asphalt repair and maintenance, but what if a customer requests you to fix cracks in concrete? In instances like that, it’s helpful to have a versatile crack-filling product. If you want to keep customers who ask for repairs on concrete surfaces, then it would be best to get a crack-filling product that can serve both purposes: asphalt and concrete.
2. Dries Quickly
You do not want to keep your customers waiting, so getting an asphalt crack filler that dries quickly is essential. No one likes dealing with a sticky surface, and slow-drying products usually cause this problem. Get a crack filler that dries in 30 minutes to save yourself from the hassle.
3. Able to Withstand extreme temperatures
There will be times when you’ll have to work under extreme weather conditions. For example, summer temperatures can go up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. In such cases, it’s important to use a crack filler that can withstand high temperatures without losing its properties.
When repairing cracks, you don’t want the filler material to track onto your flooring or clothing. This can be a big issue, especially with products prone to dripping. Look for a non-tracking crack filler to avoid this issue.
5. Ease of use
Some crack fillers are easier to apply than others. If you’re not experienced in using these products, choosing one that’s easy to apply is best. Otherwise, folks might end up making a mess and wasting the product.
These are some of the best asphalt crack fillers on the market. Be sure to choose one that’s best suited to your needs. And don’t forget to follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using the product.
Looking For Asphalt Repair In Bucks & Montgomery Counties, PA? Let Us Help!
PowerSurge Plus LLC is an asphalt maintenance & repair firm based in Bucks & Montgomery Counties, PA, that offers affordable, customer-oriented services intending to build long-term relationships with clients. Our experts are dedicated to providing high-quality asphalt crack repair services and satisfactory results that gain our client’s trust and loyalty. We are well aware of the importance of maintaining a safe and smooth driveway, parking lot, or road, which is why we only use the best materials for every repair.